• The pier was originally called the Atlantic View pier and was built in the 1930’s by Julian Morton whose son, Hugh Morton owned Grandfather Mountain.
  • It was later bought by Luther Rogers who sold it to Johnnie Mercer in 1939.
  • Johnnie Mercer was an avid fisherman and renamed the pier after himself. (He was not the famed singer/songwriter)
  • Mercer died in a car crash in 1964 and his widow sold the pier to Bob and Shirley Johnson in 1969.
  • Son Matt Johnson and his family run the pier to this day.
  • The pier was rebuilt after Hurricane Hazel in 1954.
  • Hurricane Fran and Bertha in 1996 were the two storms that devastated the wooden Johnnie Mercers Pier.
  • Building of the new concrete pier began in 1999.
  • The new Johnnie Mercers Pier reopened in 2002.
  • Johnnie Mercers is the first concrete pier along the NC coastline.
  • The pier extends 1200 feet our over the Atlantic Ocean.
  • The pier was built to be able to withstand up to 200 MPH winds.